You’ve decided to get counseling and are getting ready to make your first appointment with a Choices therapist. You’re nervous because this is your first time seeing a therapist and you want to make sure everything goes right. Relax. It’s OK to be nervous. After all, if this is your first time, you are about to take a life-changing step by addressing bothersome issues and feelings in a new way.
It’s easy. To get started, call Choices at 952-544-6806 to speak with one of our friendly administrative professionals to schedule an appointment for your first visit. Please allow time to answer a few questions so we can match you with a therapist best suited to your needs and concerns.
We want your experience with Choices to be as stress-free and comfortable as possible.
Below are some things we ask of you to make your first visit be all you want it to be.
1. Have your insurance card handy when you call as we will need to verify your benefits before your first visit. You also will need to bring the card to your first visit.
2. We will ask you to complete three confidential electronic forms which we will send directly to your email address. Your brief answers about your reasons for seeking therapy and your medical history will help your therapist to get to know you better and prepare for your first visit.
Please be ready to provide us the following:
- The names and contact information for other medical providers you are seeing for emotional concerns. This will allow us to collaborate with these providers if you give us permission. At your first session, you may choose whether or not you are open to an exchange of information with these other providers.
- The name and phone number of an emergency contact we can put on file.
- The names and doses of all medications you are currently taking, as well as those you have tried in the past to treat mental health conditions.
- Information about your medical and social history.
3. If you are having a problem completing the electronic forms, call us and we will provide further instruction.
4. Please review our informative web page on “What to expect at your first visit”
5. Please bring the following items to your first visit: Insurance card(s), photo ID, and payment for your co-pay.
As you get ready to complete the forms, take a few minutes to think about your therapy goals and gather any medical information that will help us get to know you. The initial information you provide will help your therapist get to know your concerns, history and goals for therapy.